Retail Sous Chef- KU Dining Services
Are you a passionate Chef who loves to cultivate people through a great meal? If so, we need your talent to contribute to the success of our organization! As the Executive Retail Chef, you are in charge of sparking that enthusiasm within your Team! By listening, problem-solving on the fly and providing a smile, your direction will guide the University of Kansas Dining to our end goal - a satisfying meal for each and every guest. You will succeed with us if you are upbeat, have a real passion for cooking, and a focus on crafting a guest-first culture each and every single day.
Standard competencies - University of Kansas Memorial Union
- Financial Responsibility - Work with your supervisor to create and maintain a budget through cost effective processes in all aspects of your unit.
- Human Resource Functions - Develop and implement foundational training guidelines for all Retail food service workers and present them with assistance of platforms.
- Marketing- You will be responsible for the planning and execution of special events for students. Ensuring that the food is prepared and displayed in the most appealing way. Additionally, you will collaborate with your team to continuously improve food quality, customer service and presentation of the food.
- Communication- Effectively communicate with your management team, staff and guests.
- Food Quality/Customer Service- Take pride in training and managing your team in following recipes and adhering to proper food handling practices while upholding the expectations of KU Dining Services.
- Cooperation- We want someone with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships to collaborate with the Residential and Executive Chef in order to craft and develop recipes
Required knowledge abilities & skills:
- Has a culinary background in volume food production that includes classical preparation methods, knowledge of materials, common ingredients, food service sanitation, proper storage and rotation of product and industry product standards.
- Supervise, train and evaluate employees in their job.
- You should be equipped with the Knowledge and experience in application of health, sanitary and safety standards as it applies to food services. Working knowledge of Kansas sanitation requirements for food production and product storage.
- We expect you to be able to listen, discuss and formulate meaningful responses (orally and in writing) to both employee and customer's questions/concerns/problems.
- Open to work a flexible schedule and accept the physical requirements, lifting up to 50 lbs., walking, stooping and bending.
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience in Food Service production for high volume operations
- Food Service Supervisory experience.
- Adaptable to different software platforms.
- Proven relations with multiple vendors.
Benefits of working for the K.U. Memorial Unions
We want teammates with a dedication to success and we will provide you with the opportunities necessary to improve and develop your leadership skills. We believe you will find a home where you can grow with us. Check out some of our employee benefits below:
- Paid Sick/Vacation Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement Plan - employer matching contributions
- Exciting Wellness Plan
- Employer Sponsored Medical/Dental Insurance
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Promotional opportunities
- KU ID that gives you access to the university libraries and local bus systems
Please submit a resume and cover letter with application. Full time employment with the Union Corporation is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a back ground check prior to being able to begin work.This position is eligible for an employee referral bonus.
The University of Kansas Memorial Unions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the corporation’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by corporation policy. The Director of Human Resources has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.