Manager in Training - KU Dining
We are a non-profit auxiliary service of the University of Kansas. KU Dining is a progressive, full-service department serving 15,000 meals daily through three all-you-care-to-eat dining centers, four full-service retail food courts, and 13 other retail locations scattered throughout campus, along with a table service restaurant and a comprehensive catering department. KU Dining employs approximately 130 full-time staff and over 400 part-time student and non-student team members.
As a Manager in Training, you will perform management and interpersonal duties for KU Dining Services. We expect you to monitor food quality and quantity standards through HACCP program while continuously improving food presentation. Promote food and service by building positive relationships with campus partners while modeling exceptional customer service. Ensure employee schedules are completed, food ordering, stocking, and food production are done according to schedule, complete daily paperwork and send out as needed. Provide assistance and direction to supervisors for completion of required production and extra projects as required. Utilize technology to provide efficient processes to employee and customers.
1. Food Safety - Ensure staff follow proper HACCP procedures during food preparation, transportation and service. Responsibilities range from receiving, serving, and cleaning up food service and preparation areas.
2. Management - You will serve as the manager in charge of one of our dining operations. In this role you will lead staffing, food purchasing, proper cooking and serving per Serve Safe standards, cash security, daily paperwork, the clean and neat appearance of operation, and all general operations of the outlet.
3. Leadership - Lead a team of full-time, part-time and student workers. Responsible for departmental training and scheduling for part-time employees. Manages payroll to stay in budget and report accurately.
4. Technology Focused -Effectively use software programs to schedule and update events, work with accounting processes and schedule employees.
5. Unit Upkeep -Maintain equipment, wares, and wireless credit card readers or keep maintenance log records up to date, contacting maintenance personnel as necessary. Complete supply orders for all necessary inventory.
1. Three years proven supervisory experience in at least one of the following: full service restaurants, hotel food/banquet service, event management, retail food operation, residential food service operation, collegiate food service operations.
2. Knowledge of health, sanitary, and safety standards and practices applied to food service.
3. Experience with the use of inventory/revenue reconciliation sheets to hold employees accountable for accurate transactions.
4. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Suite software.
5. Proficiency in schedule writing for a complex department with numerous employees including full time, part-time, and students.
6. Ability to perform average physical requirements of food service work to include stooping, bending, extensive walking and lifting up to 50 pounds.
1. ServSafe certification or the earning of within six months of employment
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Hospitality or equivalent years of experience
Benefits of working for the K.U. Memorial Unions
We want K.U. Dining teammates with a dedication to success and we will provide you with the opportunities necessary to improve your skills. Discover why our teammates love coming to work every single day. We believe you will find a home where you can grow with us. Check out some of our employee benefits below:
• Paid Sick/Vacation leave
• Paid holidays - if you work on a holiday to meet business needs, you can save it to use later
• Free meal every single day that you work
• Retirement plan - employer matching contributions
• Exciting wellness plan
• Employer sponsored medical/dental insurance
• Employer paid life insurance
• Promotional opportunities
• KU ID that gives you access to the university libraries and local bus systems
Please submit a resume and cover letter with application. Full time employment with the Union Corporation is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a back ground check prior to being able to begin work.
This position is eligible for an employee referral bonus.
The University of Kansas Memorial Unions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the corporation’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by corporation policy. The Director of Human Resources has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.