Cook - Catering - KU Dining Services
Compensation: $10.99 per hour commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits
Work Schedule: Varies
Performs food preparation duties in assigned work area. Prepares menu items using recipes/guidelines according to demand. Maintains quality, quantity and safety control standards. May assist in training other employees if requested by supervisor. Cleans and sanitizes work area, and equipment. Sets up/closes down work area. Positively interacts with customers and coworkers. Follows up on customer concerns. Performs other assignments as needed.
Supervision Given and Received
Reports to supervisor as assigned. May give direction to some part time help.
1. Food preparation
Following the direction of supervisor this position will prep, cook, and properly store food. All food safety rules for handling and storing foods must be followed.
2. Quality indicators
Cook shall work with a clean as you go focus, paying attention to the upkeep of work area, cleaning tools and equipment after use. Directions on recipes must be followed as written.
3. Food storage
Food is to be stored in proper form being, covered, labeled, dated, and placed in cooler or dry goods as required.
4. Food Safety
Guidelines for safe food handling should be followed at all times. Taking and logging temperatures, using clean, sanitized tools and equipment, and following good hygiene practices are some examples.
Questions should be addressed to your assigned supervisor. When speaking to your co-workers tone should be business-like and civil. Written communication will be required in some cases; this should be as clear and concise as possible.
Establishes and maintains effective relationships while being positive and pleasant to co-workers and customers. Help co-workers with tasks when help is needed, works cooperatively in-group assignments to ensure task is successfully accomplished.
1. Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisory personnel including
covering other work stations in absence of co-workers and assisting in other
work areas after completing own tasks.
2. Interacts positively with customers and coworkers. Follows up on customer concerns with supervisory staff.
3. May assist with stocking of foods into work areas, and helping in the general cleaning and upkeep of the entire kitchen area.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Knowledge of materials and methods used in preparation, holding and serving of quality food in a dining area and the use and care of appropriate utensils and equipment.
2. Knowledge of health, sanitary and safety standards and practices applied to food service.
3. Ability to follow recipes and instructions and in turn train part-time, less-experienced employees.
4. Ability to maintain a friendly disposition and dedication to serve the general public.
5. Ability to perform above average physical requirements of food service work - stooping, bending, extensive walking, standing for long periods and lifting 50 pounds.
1. High School graduation or GED equivalent
2. One year experience in commercial food service preparation and handling
Preferred QualificationsPlease submit a resume and cover letter with application. Full time employment with the Union Corporation is contingent upon satisfactory
1. Previous food service experience in a college or institutional operation.
2. Servsafe certified
completion of a back ground check prior to being able to begin work.
This position is eligible for a employee referral bonus.
The University of Kansas Memorial Unions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the corporation’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by corporation policy. The Director of Human Resources has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and can be contacted at email@example.com.