General Manager - KJHK - Kansas Memorial Unions
Compensation: $1,588.42-$1,886.23 biweekly commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri
Provides managerial and advising duties and effective coordination of people and activities for KJHK 90.7 FM (KJHK), and serves as an advisor to the Live Music Committee partnership between KJHK and Student Union Activities (SUA). Responsible for the advising, development and advancement of KJHK’s students and their capabilities through KJHK’s programming opportunities. Advances the overall progam within a student development context in a team-oriented environment. Responsible for growing KJHK’s FM listenership, content, and overall station presence within the KU and Lawrence communities. Responsible for KJHK’s annual budget and effective use of resources therein while providing budget management opportunities to students when appropriate. Responsible for the station’s FCC compliance and the maintenance and upkeep of its FCC license, along with all other supporting licenses, agreements, and subscriptions necessary. Maintains and improves station technology/capabilities in collaboration with KJHK’s broadcast engineer. Acts as the KU Memorial Union’s professional representative for all KJHK activities, including overall expansion of the KJHK program.
Supervision Given and Received
Receives direct supervision from the Assistant Director of Marketing, Media and Programs through the Union Marketing, Media and Programs office of the KU Memorial Union. Works collaboratively through advising with KJHK’s Student Station Manager to develop the overall program. Advises multiple areas of KJHK through its student leadership along with subordinate directors and staffs.
1. Serves as a member of the Marketing, Media and Programs Department professional staff, providing primary management, coordination and advising of KJHK. Responsibilities includes meeting weekly with the Assistant Director and with staff. Along with the Union Marketing, Media and Programs staff, is responsible for providing on-site advising coverage for programs and events on an as-needed basis.
2. Assumes responsibility for the station and ensures compliance with applicable FCC rules and regulations, and is ultimately responsible for the direction and long-term objectives of KJHK.
3. In addition to budget and resource management and advisement of the KJHK student leadership staff, establishes station procedures that most effectively serve the station and its audience; serves as the primary professional coordinator for student staff and volunteer operations throughout KJHK.
4. Sets, develops, and achieves new program objectives in a student development context.
5. Provides advising support for KJHK and SUA students on the Live Music Committee, including relevant and timely artist/market research, effective concert planning and execution.
6. Assists student leaders in both organizations (KJHK and SUA) in the planning and implementation of student-initiated activities while fostering leadership opportunities for student programmers.
1. Advises, shapes, and improves KJHK programming, expands station audiences, and advances the station’s mission to better serve the campus and community.
2. Creates connections within the broadcasting communities of Lawrence and Kansas through professional development and educational opportunities for KJHK students. Serves as the liaison with the University to ensure education opportunities for students within the station context, and with SUA to develop mutually beneficial programs and opportunities.
3. With the Assistant Director, assists in coordination and data meaning with KJHK and related programs’ assessment projects.
4. Commitment to a collaborative programming model which focuses on experiential learning, calendar/planning development, and cross-campus partnering strategies.
5. Reviews and prepares contractual agreements for signature by the Assistant Director or the Director of Union Programs.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Knowledge of elements involved in radio station programming and production.
2. Knowledge of elements involved in audio and/or video production, online content authoring, social media management, and marketing strategies.
3. Knowledge of logistics involved in event production and promotion.
4. Ability to advise students, conduct leadership training, and produce programs.
5. Ability to relate to students, faculty and staff.
6. Ability to organize efficiently and schedule to meet deadlines.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings, weekends as programs require.
1. Bachelors’ degree in communications, journalism, broadcasting or related field; or a minimum of three year’s commensurate experience in professional audio and/or video production.
2. Experience with audio and/or video production hardware and software.
3. Experience with logistics and planning of activities, programs, or events.
4. Experience with budgeting of resources and long-range planning.
5. Proficient in computer utilization to complete tasks, including Microsoft Office, and frequent internet communication.
1. Masters’ degree.
2. Experience in college or community radio and related programming.
3. Experience with media production, management, and development.
4. Experience in advising and developing students through experiential learning.
5. Experience working with a diverse student population.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with application. Please include a link to your portfolio, if you would like. Full time employment with the Union Corporation is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a back ground check prior to being able to begin work.
This position is eligible for an employee referral bonus.
The University of Kansas Memorial Unions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the corporation’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by corporation policy. The Director of Human Resources has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and can be contacted at email@example.com.