Part Time Building Manager
Pay starting at $11/hour!
Serves as the primary point of contact for building visitors, providing customer service to guests and support to other Union staff. Facilitates events hosted in Union spaces through setups, teardowns, audio-video support, and coordination with other Union staff. Performs light custodial duties in public and event spaces.
Supervision Given and Received
Receives direct supervision from the Operations management staff.
Number of Openings, Locations and Hours
The Union has multiple immediate openings at all three locations - Kansas Union, DeBruce Center and Burge Union. We are also hiring for positions starting in August (fall semester). Flexible scheduling available, but minimum of 10 hours/week and maximum of 28 hours/week.
1. Provide customer service for all building visitors, as well as assist other Union staff. This includes answering questions, solving problems, and connecting people to other Union and KU staff for additional help
2. Provide facility and equipment support for events hosted in Union spaces, including the following: a) setting up and tearing down tables, chairs and various other equipment, and b) acting as the building’s point of contact with event coordinators, vendors and other Union teams to provide assistance before, during and after events
3. Provide audio-video and lighting support through setups and teardowns for events, monitoring/running equipment during events, and troubleshooting equipment and digital systems for setups and during events
4. Conduct light custodial support in public and event spaces, including the following: a) vacuum carpets and sweep hard floors, b) wipe down tabletops and other surfaces, c) restock consumables and cleaning counters, sinks, mirrors and toilets in restrooms, d) pulling trash, and e) shovel snow/apply ice melt for visitor safety
1. Attend weekly staff meeting
2. Use reservations database, MS Teams, and staff scheduling app
3. Contribute to daily building reports when working
4. Carry building duty phone when working
5. Unlock and lock the building for opening and closing shifts respectively
6. Provide initial response and ongoing assistance as needed for emergency and critical incidents
7. Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Clear verbal and written communication skills
2. Comfort speaking with and assisting many and varied people – individuals to large groups, children to seniors, KU community members as well as the general public; this also includes occasionally confronting disruptive visitors (or calling for supervisors or public safety officers when safety is a concern)
3. Ability to work as the solo staff person
4. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and to trouble-shoot unique or unforeseen problems
1. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some early mornings or late evenings, as well as some weekends
2. Must be able to lift 40+ lbs. and spend most of the shift standing and walking (4-8 hours)
1. Experience with programs, events, customer service, custodial
2. Experience with audio-video equipment
3. Familiarity with the University of Kansas
4. Student status at the University of Kansas
OPEN TO ANYONE - PREFERENCE GIVEN TO KU STUDENTS
The University of Kansas Memorial Unions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the corporation’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by corporation policy. The Director of Human Resources has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org